The Olweus Program Works!
Ralph R. Smith Elementary School in Hyde Park launched their Olweus Bullying Prevention Program on September 2014. Although there was a slight increase in reported bullying, the following results were achieved after 1 year of implementation:
- a decrease in the percent of students that think they could join in bullying others.
- a 3% increase in the percentage of students who feel sorry for the bullied student (92.7% in 2014 to 95.4% in 2015).
- a 19% increase in the recognition of teacher interventions (44.9% in 2014 to 53.6% in 2015).
- a 26% increase in student interventions in bullying situations.
- a 19% decrease in student reports of parent contact with the school in regards to bullying.
- a 2% increase in helping a student who has been bullied.
- a 20% decrease in the number of students who would just watch the bullying happen.
- a 41% decrease in the number of students who think teachers have done nothing about bullying.
- a 44% decrease in the percentage of students reporting they have no friends or only 1 friend at school.
- a 23% decrease in the number of students reporting that they dislike school.
Programs are funded in part by the County of Dutchess. Programs funded in part by Dutchess County Youth Services.